
Greasy Truckers Party 3CD Reissue - Man, Brinsley Schwartz and Hawkwind
Recorded 13th Feb 1972, this is the 3CD version of the rare 70’s double live album that everyone knew about but, due to it’s original limited edition of only 10,000-odd, no-one actually possessed.
Wiki/Google for the full story surrounding the gig’s mythical status, d/l this and give it at least one serious listen all the way through.
First up you’ve got Man. Usually lumped in with the jazzier end of the spectrum in those days (cf Gong and Camel), listening to them fresh, they come across as a little too like Yes for my liking, no-one went on to do anything much of note and apparently they’re still around in various incarnations. File under “could have been contenders but then punk came along”.
CD2 is Brinsley Schwartz. Never heard of them? (sigh) . . . right, pay attention at the back there . . .
These days, “R&B” is used to describe that insipid, ersatz soul bollocks that the likes of Maria Carey, Alicia Keys and Beyonce sell in millions to people who think that Big Brother really is "Reality" Television .
In the 70’s however, it was synonomous with “Pub Rock”, hard, fast and sweaty rock and roll that stripped music down to its bare essentials. Outta this scene came the likes of Dr Feelgood, Count Bishops and The Hammersmith Gorillas who, in turn, directly influenced the nascent punk scene of the mid-70’s.
Anyway, Brinsley Schwartz were one of the first Pub Rockers.
The line-up was pretty stable 1970-75 after which Brinsley Schwartz went on to join Ducks Deluxe and then Graham Parker & The Rumour.
The one you prolly have heard of, Nick Lowe, joined up with Dave Edmunds in Rockpile had some still-stands-up-well solo hits (Cruel to Be Kind" and "I Love the Sound of Breaking Glass" ), was Stiff Records in-house producer, married Johnny Cash’s step-daughter Carlene etc etc etc .
So, bottom line, CD2 contains the earliest of early pub rock bands who pretty much anybody who went on to be in an original punk band was into at the time.
CD3 . . . what can I say. Probably what most of you are here for.
The classic Hawkwind line precursing their “later that year” Space Ritual tour. Silver Machine makes its live debut (it’s this actual track with Lemmy vocal overdubs that became the single) and they encore with the 10 minute extended jam session that later became Brainstorm.
Welcome to the neo-Golden age!
All at 320 kb/s, you'll have to d/l all to unpack ('cos I want you to listen to the whole thing!)
http://rapidshare.com/files/195108261/Greasy_Truckers.part1.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/195136489/Greasy_Truckers.part2.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/195140819/Greasy_Truckers.part3.rar

15 comments:
Nice!
I do own a copy of the original white label album, but have been looking for a decent copy of the extended release to hear what else went on that night.
But from what I have heard, in my opinion, the Man set stands up the best.
Spunk Rock is a real classic and well representative of their excellent sound at that time. (Yes, I do live in Wales...)
Entry to the gig was 50p!
Ahh, the days...
Thanks.
Shanti, roy
thankyou very much, i'm looking forward to a good listen.
steve.
I also owned a copy but as a poor student in the mid 70s sold it [and my glastonbury fayre album set] sob! great to see an extended set here. many thanks
qef
Like anon. I also had this but sadly sold it too. I'm looking forward to giving this a reappraisal. Spunk Rock is superb - I remember that, but as for Magic Michael...
Thank you very much.
I used to listen to a friend's copy of this, am looking forward to hearing it again! Thanks
>> File under “could have been
>> contenders but then
>> punk came along”.
i absolutelyy disagree: the welsh band man started in the 6oies, here in gernaby well known for their beatclub-appearences (something like top of the pops with live bands, great show). then deadheads over here liked them because of their jamming tour with john cipolina (Quicksilver Messenger Service). a real great band. give ie. "maximum darkness" (with zippy) or "rhinos whinos & lunatics" a listen - great stuff, one of my personal favourites.
thanks for the show. i knew the 2cd version but this is real great!!
thanks a lot
greets from germany
Having to dl a whole disc of Man, just so I can groove to the Brinsleys... aww...
Cruel to be kind, indeed!
But thanks a bunch anyway!
Thanks for this I enjoy any Man recordings -but I need a password - its not extracting without one.
No p/w required, but you will have to d/l all 3 vols to unrar
Haven't seen that cover for years - what a blast..
PS Magic Micheal did a track Millionaire backed by The Damned 1980 I think..
What an excellent share - thanks for reviving some happy pre-punk memories...
R
Really looking forward to listening to this. Just finished downloading disc 1 BUT disc 2 & 3 seem to have dissapeared. Any chance of a re-up
Great BLOG
TT
I still have my vinyl too, actually my second copy! The first was stolen along with the rest of my records 25 years ago in UK and then I saw this in an op shop here in Australia about 5 years ago for the equivalent of about 3 quid!!!
Regards/
Thanks for sharing ;-)
Post a Comment