
The Tubes - White Punks On Dope (Greatest Hits)
Popular in the US long before making a bit of a scene in the UK where they jumped on the punk bandwagon in 77/78 with a pretty outrageous stage act and promptly dissapeared without a trace.
White Punks On Dope (have a google for the Nina Hagen version) and Don't Touch Me There are the biggies imo.

3 comments:
Always loved the Tubes (1st 4 albums) got called ever name in jr. high for listening to them =) wish I could track down a video that came out with their live double LP "What Do You Want From Live?" The stage act was so bizarre w/ alter ego caricatures like Quay Lewd and Johnny Bugger... crazy 70's glam fun !!! There's a slew of live gigs you can listen to and buy over at Wolfgangs Vault, or grab a copy of the afore mentioned Live LP it's a classic... Thanks for the post it'll make a great addition to my iTunes library.
Funny that you call this popular - I was with a friend who was visiting his Dad at a radio station in the mid seventies ... 74? 75? While they were talking, I fished the "White Punks On Dope" single out of the trash and asked if I could have it. His dad said 'sure but it's garbage, we'd never play that!" Of course, that made the record all the more precious.
Saw them on a double bill with Utopia in Utica, NY back in the early 80's - Fee Waybill spent more time changing costumes than singing. "White Punks on Dope" and, much later, "She's a Beauty" were minor U.S. hits, but "Popular in the U.S." really is a bit of a stretch. Good band, though. That first album is big fun.
Thanks for the memories. I'll be playing this for my wife tonight.
Post a Comment