Sunday, October 15




Tommy Cooper - The Very Best Of
Up there with Spike Milligan imo.

From the (rather slim) Wiki article . . .

Cooper made an art form of getting magic tricks wrong. He is considered by many to be one of the most inventive and funny British comedians since Charlie Chaplin. However, despite his purported inability to perform conjuring tricks, he was in reality an accomplished magician and member of The Magic Circle. Famed for his red fez, he had a host of catchphrases such as "Just like that!", "Spoon, jar, jar, spoon!!" and "Whisky, sample, sample, whisky, sample...". He would also say things like, "I must say you've been a wonderful audience" or "Have we got time for more?" immediately after he walked on stage.

Any English speaking non-Brits should d/l this to get a taste of "English humour". Please leave a comment if you do.

Reupped March 12 2007

http://rapidshare.com/files/20550663/Tommy_Cooper.rar.html

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have that CD already, brilliant, just brilliant. I remember seeing him once in the summer season, I think it was Scarborough in England, early 70s. The lights go down, the band kicks in, the announcer does his thing.. no Tommy. Sounds from the wings: a microphone comes on, Tommy is a bit lost, has discussions with the stage manager, tries to find his props, fumbles about, 'where's me shirt?', it goes on for ages. The audience is in the dark and wetting itself with laughter and the guy isn't even on stage yet. Of course, when the lights go up and he DOES come on, total uproar.

Aa favourtie real life tale (allegedly) - Tommy gets in a cab at a hotel to go to a show, tells the cabbie 'I'm a bit late son, get me there on time and there'll be something in it for you'.. cabbie thinks 'Great, a nice big tip' and roars off through the streets to the theatre.

When they get there, Tommy jumps out and stuffs something in the cabbie's top pocket - 'Well done, have a drink on me, son'. The cabbie is pleased, waits for Tommy to get into the theatre before he looks at his tip and then pulls out... a teabag.

Have a drink on Tommy :-) Genius.

Of course, he bombed in America - they just couldn't get the fact that his tricks were MEANT to fail most of the time to get laughs. They just though he was a bit crap. Of course, he was a great magician, but made many more laughs by duffing it up. When he did get a trick right, pandemonium.

First time I've seen Tommy on a blog - thanks a lot!

DrTugnut said...

'Two television aerials got married. I went to the wedding and it was awful, all though the reception was fantastic.'

When I was a nipper I was taken backstage to meet him. He stank of whisky and piss and my mum was terrified of him - of course I thought he was a god.

I still do.

Any chance of uploading on another service as rapidshare is a bastard?

A Dashing Blade said...

Agree. I'm getting pissed off with too much re-posting. Going to be actively looking over the w/e.

Anonymous said...

I remember watching a few of his shows when I was a kid, but as a young'n, aint really seen/heard much of him. Cheers very much for the d/l dashing. Can't wait to listen to this.

Anonymous said...

I'm really looking forward to hearing this , many thanks

Anonymous said...

Thanks mate,hard to get,used to see him occasionally on t.v many ,many years ago,love him!